Life Learnings From the Last Six Months
We pass through the present with our eyes blindfolded. We are permitted merely to sense and guess at what we are actually experiencing. Only later when the cloth is untied can we glance at the past and find out what we have experienced and what meaning it has.
― Milan Kundera, Laughable Loves.
A year ago, I wrote an article here on Medium where I shared my experiences of a decade. I think that was the beginning of a new habit that I took too seriously; trying to understand a difficult situation, noting down an afterthought, and analyzing my emotions.
By practicing this, things became much clearer. It ensured a less strenuous passage through challenging situations.
I ended up with valuable lessons that I couldn’t learn earlier even if I had the opportunity. Being mindful helped me pick the messages that life tries to convey all the time. But, we tend to ignore or take these things quite casually in our busy life.
Thankfully, last year I had plenty of time to invest in a little retrospection.
I have scribbled down the lessons that I was able to grasp over the last few months. I hope it helps you to understand your situation better and makes your day a little bearable.
- Some days will be hard on you. You’ll witness an overflow of emotions; all kinds of emotions. Make sure you address each one of them and find a way to relax.
- At the end of the day, the only people who matter are the ones close to your heart and soul. Worship them. Cherish them.
- Don’t vent your stress, frustrations, and anger on people. It may backfire and topple you. Find a healthier way to de-stress.
- Your physical health matters too. Eat well and take care of your body.
- On some days, memories from your past will give an unexpected visit. Let them in. Smile. They are a part of your life. Recall what you had learned back then and just let those memories flow away.
A conscious habit of understanding our actions and reactions will help in achieving the peace of mind that we all are looking for.